Tuesday, April 14

Speech goes Green!!

In honor of Earth Day...my speech groups are going green. 




I must be honest I have not done a Earth Day lesson in a long time. A new district and new school, left me without a portable building/room which gave me easy access to outdoors. However, I will say on the cold and rainy days I truly appreciate my indoor room. 

Back to the topic at hand, so the past week has been simple lovely. Therefore, it started my wheels turning on how to incorporate Earth Day somewhere into my sessions. I also wanted to share a few ideas. 

So, I will start with the ideas:
1. Introduce Earth Day vocabulary (I will have a list under "Printables"). 
2.Read a book on Earth Day or Recycling.  
Recycle!: A Handbook for Kids  By: Gail Gibbons
The Earth Day Book                        By: Todd Parr
Earth Day Hooray!                           By : Stuart Murphy
The Three R's                                    By: Nuria Roca

These are just a few to get started. Check out Barnes and Noble or your school's library for others. 
3. Have your session outside. (Find a nice shady area.)
4. Create Recycling Boxes for the school or home. (This is the time of year order for next year or coming in so there are empty boxes - check with the custodians.)
5. Create Fact Cards about Earth Day and its' importance. 

Now if that doesn't get you started or tickle your fancy. I have a small and simple Earth Day Speech and Language Packet. It is geared to Language needs, however, I know you all are beyond creative and will be able to tweak this to best fit your needs. 

The packet includes an Earth Day Vocabulary sheet, that can also function as a coloring sheet. Also, an activity sheet for formulating sentences using the provided vocab. With this sheet you can focus on verbs, adjectives, prepositions, or just the child's ability to formulate a grammatically correct sentences. Note: using this written form of activity would be more suitable for grades 3 and up. If you choose not to use this activity as a writing one, then feel free to use it with the little ones. Perhaps they can color a part of the vocabulary tree each time they fulfill their task. 

The next activity allows you and your student(s) the opportunity to discuss items that should be recycled. This sheet also allows you to go into a deeper discussion of items that we should reduce and reuse. 

Lastly, after having so much fun discussing Earth Day and filling the kids with the knowledge they can take with them to use outside your room. I have provided a Certificate acknowledging their help with making the Earth a healthier place. 

The packet will be available under the "Printables" tab. 

I hope you all enjoy and I would love to hear about your Earth Day activities. 

No comments: