Thursday, September 17

Getting back in the swing of things with CAS

So it has been a few weeks since my last post. I wasn't expecting to go this long without posting; however, life has been a little crazy for me since school started to weeks ago. I feel like I have be pushed and pulled in a million directions. On top of not being able to connect to my computer at home; it seems like every child I have this year is new to my school. Therefore, I am learning new IEP's and kids all over again. 

As I fight to stay afloat with this new caseload and new kids showing up seems like every day; I have truly had to turn on my thinking cap. I inherited a new little one this year. He was diagnosed with Childhood Apraxia of Speech (CAS) prior to attending my campus. For my readers who have not heard of this it is a is a motor speech disorder. Children with CAS have problems saying sounds, syllables, and words. This is not because of muscle weakness or paralysis, but due to the brain having problems planning the movement of body parts (e.g., lips, jaw, tongue) needed for speech.

This sweet little guy is in Kinder,  so picture being at a new school and having a motor speech disorder. Last week he had a melt down due to frustration which hurt me because I can only imagine how he feels. He is only 2 weeks into the new journey called school and no one understands him. Just to give you a an idea of his capabilities, my little friend has his vowels, but they are inconsistent. 

Guys, my brain has been turning like crazy, to find out a way to make things a little easy on this guy. Let me throw this in while I'm writing; I have not had a child with CAS in almost 3 years. 

So after getting a meeting schedule to change the frequency, duration, and location in which services would be provided (previous IEP schedule page stated 5 hours a six weeks and other information was vague). I have also put in place a temporary communication board, in hopes to decrease his frustration throughout his day. I am also planning on providing his treatment outside his classroom door (I am going to attempt to treat him like my RTI students). I will have to let you all know how it goes. 

With all that being said, if you follow me on Facebook or Instagram you have have seen post regarding a cookie activity or cookie monster activity. Well today it hit me, since my little friend's therapy will look so similar so many days. Why not make his drill and practice a little fun. I decided to make the cookie activity my new Apraxia activity. 

Using an old clear shoe box, a picture (laminated) of Cookie Monster, and cookie and milk cut outs I found at the local Dollar Tree. I think I may just have something he will like. I am keeping my finger cross, please do the same. 

So what I did was place vowels, consonants, and CV/VC syllables on cuts outs of cookies and milk. As my little friend attempts to produce the sound Cookie Monster will either eat or drink the milk. Simple but fun and cute. Well at least I think so. 





*Note: Session will be very structure and consist of the same routine initially. 
(i.e. Vowel warm-up, consonant in isolation drills,  and CV/VC drill using an action to associate that sound with a visual)



No comments: