Thursday, July 24

Fast, Fun, Flip-Books

While thinking of the upcoming school year, my students, and their goals/objectives; I begin to think of how I need to incorporate new ways of presenting and re-mediating concepts. If your like me some of your kids will be returning next year working on some of the same goals/objectives (because they haven't quite mastered them yet) and because of this I feel I need  to reinvent the wheel on my approach so they do not become bored. This is why I've come up with a Flip-book that can be used to address many deficit areas. Just my luck this idea came at the perfect time, because I was just about to take a trip that included my 5 year old inquisitive God-daughter and a 4 hour car drive. With that being said, let me say my God-daughter has recently begun to learn opposites, and has an exceptional vocabulary for her age (she also loves playing school). She is my future SLP. Nevertheless, I asked her mother could I try my idea on her (also know that my God-daughter is going through a stage where she wants to know the spellings of words so this worked perfect for her).

I began by purchasing two 4 x 6 photo albums at Dollar General for a buck each. I then rush home again my journey. I proceeded by printing the definition of a Antonym (as my first page) and then various Antonyms. I then placed them to one side of the photo album and on the opposite side a plain colored sheet of paper. The purpose for doing this is that the words would function as a flash card and the other side a place for the child to write their answer using a dry erase marker (easy and efficient, right?). Hopefully the pictures below will help if anything was a bit confusing.


Cover and 1st page (which includes definition)


Words were ordered easy to hard in the book


To clean the bottom side of the book that included the answers, I used previously purchased mini erasers for dry erase boards. However, Dollar General also sells dry erase makers (3-packs) that have erasers on the tips. 

So that you all are not left without hearing the outcome. My sweet God-daughter was able to independently maneuver through the Antonyms book, with the exception of needing some words spelled. 


***Also, look under the "Therapy Ideas" tab for more activities to incorporate in your sessions. I've added something recently and will be adding more in the upcoming weeks. 

No comments: