Thursday, October 30

"Artic" Slamwich

I know you are probably looking at the title thinking what could I have possibly thought of this time. Well I was sitting at home talking to a friend about things we did as kids. As we reminisced on songs, places, and games. A card game known to me as "Slap Jack" or "Slam Jack" came to mind, and if you've read enough of my posts, by now you will know I will turn anything into a therapy activity.

With that being said, I began to brainstorm on how I could turn a childhood card game into a therapy activity. What area of communication would my activity focus on? Would this activity be a card game? What would the cards look like? After deciding I would like to create an Articulation card game; the next question at hand was what words would I use and how would I present this to my students. As we all know, in order to have a successful therapy session you must keep your students/clients engaged.

So after deciding on the type of activity, I soon realized I needed something catchy. It couldn't be just a card game, I needed to keep the kids attention.  Therefore, I needed to create a template (that would function as the cards), something that I have not used in the past. If you've looked at the picture below, I chose slices of bread. Now, you may be wondering, why bread? This may sound silly, but I was in my kitchen wanting a sandwich realizing I did not have any bread. That is when it hit me, why not use a bread template to function as my cards. I know it's different and silly, but kids love silly.

Finally, after coming up with the core of the activity, my next task would be obtaining pictures and words for the cards (slices of bread). You can't drill error sounds without words or pictures to help. Since I believe you should not reinvent the wheel; I decided to use pictures/words from The Webber Jumbo Book of Articulation (Color). Therefore, with the use of the Webber pictures and my slices of bread template "Artic" Slamwich was created.


How to play:
Students are dealt the entire deck of cards. The deck will depend on how many sounds you choose for the session. I have 32 cards that address /r/ and /s/ in all word positions. Once the cards have been distributed, students take turns placing cards in a pile looking for their target sound. When he/she finds their sound they are to slam (slap) their card and say the word. This card now becomes apart of their personal pile to keep. The goal is to quickly find (slam/slap) cards with their sounds and say them. Creating fun while drilling and practicing. 

Materials Needed:
Card stock (white)
Webber Jumbo Book of Articulation (Found on Superduperinc.com)
Bread Template (Found under the "Printables" tab)
Scissors/Glue
Laminating Machine
Markers (for labeling purposes)
Sandwich bag(s) (for storage)

Activity Focus: 
Articulation at the word level
Note: Game can be adjusted to address phrase and sentences levels.




No comments: