Sunday, July 12

Bye, Bye Summer Vacation! Hellooo, new school year!

As I sit here lonely, because my pampered pooch is spending time with my parents. I realized that  summer is coming to an end and the start of a new year is right around the corner. That's when I began to think about my students and what I will do to break the ice and establish/reestablish rapport. Well, I wont lie to you, the beginning of the school year is so crazy, and my first thought was find a cool game at Target to break the ice. However, that thought diminished fast when I thought again about how starting the year like this will have the kids thinking I am just the lady who has the cool games (LOL, I know like kids don't already think that about the school SLP).

With that being said, I try every year to start Therapy with something different, and preferably not a board game. This is because like all of us we have some students that haven't graduate from speech yet, and have the memory of an elephant. For that reason, I am always looking for something new to change up my routine in order to keep them engaged and excited about visiting me another year.

Therefore, I decided to start this year with an activity I haven't used since being placed on my current campus. So, although it may be an oldie for me, it will not be for my students. I have recreated my old version of  the "All about Me" worksheet.


                                                        My new and improved version.




Now you're probably thinking you can not use this with your little ones. I beg to differ, instead of giving each of them this sheet have them answer the questions aloud. This will not only keep them engaged, it works on turn taking skills in the process. Another option, would be to project the worksheet on the wall. Then give each child a plane sheet of paper and have them draw their answers and explain their drawing to the group. The kids will surely love this.

As, a follow up, if your kids finish early have them discuss their summer vacations. I personally tend to stray from this area, due to the majority of my kids not being able to travel and/or do lots of things on their summer vacation. However, you can ask them what is their most memorable moment of summer.

Note: All you will need for this Activity is a color printer, and writing utensils.

No comments: