Wednesday, October 7

Searching for Sound in Words



This year I have more 6 graders than usual receiving Articulation Therapy; and my little enthusiastic pre-teens are still excited about attending Therapy. Usually around Junior High they are burnt out and do not like seeing the "Speech Therapist/Teacher". I guess I can say I am lucky with this group .
                                    


After the same old drill and practice, and self monitoring routine we do without any complaints. (I will be honest we have new room this year, that is not conducive to the fun things I've incorporated in the past for my Junior High kids, but I'm just happy to have a room). I digress, so I promised my kids a little fun, and because of the room I'm having to think outside the box. This is why I've come up with a Word Search Challenge for my 6th graders, and wanted to share. 


Note: It was specifically designed to address their sounds. 


The Word Search that I have created address the /l/, /r/, and /th/ phonemes. I know some may say a "Word Search", how will that help if they aren't saying the sounds? Well I have created my Word Search to be challenge. My kids are to race to find as many sound as possible in a specific amount of time (you will need a timer). The student to find the most words in that time will only  have to say the words they found 2 times each, the other students will have to say their  sounds the number times I choose that session. This is repeated until all words are found. I have also created a self-monitoring sheet for my students on that level so when they say their target sound they are able to mark if it was said correctly or incorrectly.


 My student's love this, it keeps the students engaged and the session moving at a steady pace. I recommend you try it if you have students working on these specific targeted sounds.

Word Search can be found under the "Printables" tab.

*graphic found on google images

No comments: